The Australian Government is wary of the concern of the people holding Temporary Visa Holders. The government has created an interim measure to acknowledge the disruption caused by COVID-19 and help the eligible Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) Visa holders in this regard.
This is why Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) replacement stream Visa is introduced. Here are all the updates regarding this Visa.
What is a Temporary Graduate Replacement Stream Visa?
To provide support to hundreds of the people who were stranded overseas with a Temporary Graduate visa for subclass 485, the Australian government has announced that since they were not able to travel to the country due to COVID travel restrictions, can now apply for a replacement visa.
The COVID-19 Replacement Stream Visa is issued as a replacement for the original Temporary Graduate visa. This Visa is meant for the people who already have the Temporary Graduate visa and have got affected due to the Australian travel restrictions in lieu of Covid 19.
Temporary Graduate visa holders, who could not use their Visa to the fullest by staying in Australia for the allowed period, can now have a replacement visa. The COVID-19 Replacement Stream Visa will allow them exactly the same duration of stay, that their original visa had permitted them.
COVID-19 Replacement Stream Visa: The Facts
Here are the highlights of the COVID-19 Replacement Stream Visa:
- Temporary Graduate Visa holders whose Visa has expired can now apply for replacement visas to renter Australia
- The government has also increased the length of stay for 485 visa holders from two to three years.
- All the changes to Temporary Graduate Visa stay period will start implemented from 1st December 2021
- As per reports, certain eligible Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders had their visas extended or enlivened is 18th February 2022. These people extended their Visa till 30th September 2022.
- The applications for the COVID-19 Temporary Graduate replacement stream Visa will start on 1st July 2022.
- Visa holders who are found eligible for the Visa extension, will be sent a notification by the Department directly.
- As a result of this new measure, the eligible Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders who got affected due to the COVID-19 travel restrictions can breathe a sigh of relief. These Visa holders will now be able to enter and remain in Australia for living and working until their application for getting the replacement Temporary Graduate visa is approved.
- With this visa extension, the eligible people can also include their family members that were originally included in the Temporary Work Visa.
- The Temporary Graduate replacement stream Visa will allow both the present and former Visa holders who were affected by the COVID-19 travel restrictions, to have the same duration of stay as the original visa.
Eligibility criterion – Extension
If you want to check whether you are eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa extension, here is the list for you:
- The Visa holders must have a valid Temporary Graduate Visa on 15th December 2021.
- The original Visa is going to expire before 30th September 2022.
- The visa must not be canceled since 15th December 2021.
- The Visa holder must not have a substantive visa since 15th December 2021.
- The visa holder was in the country (Australia) when the visa was granted.
- The primary visa holder was not in the country (Australia) in the time period of 1st February 2020 and 14th December 2021. Both the mentioned dates are included in the time band.
Eligibility criterion – Enliven
If you want to check whether you are eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa to enliven, here is the list for you:
- The visa holders should have a Temporary Graduate visa that expired between the time frame starting 1st February 2020 and 14th December 2021. Both the mentioned dates are included in the time band.
- The visa should not have been canceled for any reason.
- The visa holder must not have a further substantive visa.
- The primary visa holder should have been in the country (Australia) when the Visa was granted.
- The primary Visa holder must be outside the country (Australia) for the time period starting 1st February 2020 and 14th December 2021. Both the mentioned dates are included in the time band.
How long can you stay in Australia with a Temporary Graduate replacement stream visa?
The people who are eligible for the extension Visa will get the full validity of their original Temporary Graduate visa. However, it will depend on the level of their qualification. Immigration lawyer Perth WA can help you with more details.
What is the cost of applying or getting a Temporary Graduate replacement stream visa?
The visa extension will not cost you anything. You don’t need to pay any fees for the COVID-19 Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) replacement stream visa. It is free of cost.
What do I do to get a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) replacement stream visa?
The Temporary Graduate replacement Visa happens automatically. You do not need to get in touch with the Department or raise any application or query.
Increased length of stay on 485 visas
It is important for you to know about this significant decision. From 1st December 2021, the government has increased the duration of stay on the 485 visas from two to three years for Masters by coursework graduates.
From 1st December 2021, the stay period on the Graduate Work stream has also increased from 18 to 24 months. Under VET, if you studied Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Australia for 92 weeks at least, and you end your course before June 2023, you can receive a 485 Graduate Work Visa for 2 years. Contact Immigration lawyer Perth to know more about it.
This action by the government has brought a lot of respite to the people holding current and former Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) Visa. For the holders whose visas expired on 1st February 2020 or after it, the government announced that they were impacted due to the pandemic and they can reapply for a new subclass 485 Visa as a replacement. By offering the same Visa length as their original visa had provided them, a large section of people has been benefitted.