A head louse lays small white eggs also called nits at the base of hair close to the scalp. Their accumulation is intense on the hairline at the back of the neck and behind the ears. After treating your hair with any of the recommended head lice solutions, the infested person must be monitored using glass and bright light by another person for any evidence of lice and their eggs remaining. There are several methods to remove head lice. Many are recommended or approved by experts, while other conventional methods are still used by old people.
What are Various Head Lice Solutions?
When treating head lice, it must be kept in mind that, getting rid of head lice is easier and you can remove all lice from your hair in one or two wash. However, the removal of nits takes some more time.
- For effective removal of lice eggs, using a special comb (provided with the medication box) and following the guidelines contained in the box is good enough.
- Re –view the entire head every day for nits you might have missed, after combing. If you find something again, remove any lice eggs by combing or by hand using a disposable glove.
- In case the lice, especially nits, are visible for seven days or more after treatment, a second treatment with permethrin or another drug may be needed.
You are recommended to consult your doctor if the situation prolongs
Here are some solutions to get rid of lice and nits if your situation is not getting too worsen. Hopefully, they will work best.
1. Use a Specialized Comb
These are fine-toothed combs impregnated with the gold standard for head lice removal; you are required to use this comb in line with expert medication.
2. Use of OTC Products with Pyrethrum
This is an active ingredient or drug comes from chrysanthemum flowers that harbour natural toxin called pyrethrins. Pyrethrins works on the principle of attacking the nervous systems of live lice but don’t always work as some lice are not vulnerable to this insecticide.
3. Get Your Hands on Olive Oil
This ingredient is considered to be the most effective killer for head lice. In the presence of olive oil, lice allegedly choke and die when they exude plugs their breathing holes. However, you need to apply olive oil overnight under a shower cap because lice can survive without breathing for hours. Keep your comb with yourself because you need to comb your hair to remove lice nuts.
4. Try a Hair Dryer
Study says that hot-air methods are highly effective in killing nits. A conventional bonnet dryer slew nearly eighty-nine per cent of nits and ten per cent of lice. On the other hands, using a blow dryer with direct heat killed almost ninety-eight per cent lice eggs and fifty per cent of lice. So use a hairdryer on freshly washed hair. Getting rid of theses bugs on the faster rate is one of the good head lice solutions but don’t use high temperature or warmest rods after applying a chemical lice treatment because some may contain flammable ingredients.
Medication to Getting Rid of Head Lice
This process is used the professional lice removal treatment that kills head lice (a tiny insect that feeds on human’s blood and resides in their scalp). People use to stay away from the lice they may get by contacting those who have lice. The medication is related to the class of drugs called pyrethrins. The drug paralyses and kills the tiny and nasty bugs.
Application of Permethrin Liquid to Treat Head Lice
- You are recommended to apply for this medicine as soon after it is prescribed by your doctor.
- Application of this medication is to the hair and scalp is recommended. You are required to wash your hair with ruined shampoo but not with conditioner.
- After washing hair with water, rinse off gently, and towel dry your hair.
- Before applying on hair, shake the liquid well, close your eyes or cover them with a towel while applying the medication on the head. Make sure that the medication is reaching every root of the hair- especially behind the ears and on the hairline at the neck).
- While applying the medication, make sure that liquid does not enter in your mouth nose, vagina, or eyes.
- In case you are unfortunate, enough and medicine gets in any of these areas, wash with plenty of water. Strictly avoid using medication than prescribed.
- After it, you are required to leave the permethrin on your scalp for ten minutes or as per your doctor’s instructions.
- Flush your hair with warm water. Gently towel-dry them and comb out any tangles.
Note: This medication applied once can help prevent lice and nits from coming back for 14 days.
Although it occurs very rarely, if your eyebrows or eyelashes are infected, too, do not apply this medication to those areas without first consulting your doctor.