Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a type of certificate that helps to encrypt and protect the information on the website. It is a digital certificate that consists of small data files so that the cryptographic key can bind with the details of the organization. It provides authentication and encrypts the connection. At the time of certificate issuance, CA (certificate authority) will communicate with the client about the web service host to demonstrate ownership of the domain. SSL certificate encryption and authentication process work just like envelop sealing that is information in the mail protected like a seal before sending. The main use of SSL certificate is done by e-commerce and sensitive information collection websites.
The backbone of the secure and protected internet connection is an SSL certificate that encrypts sensitive data. It will help to stop phishing scams, third-party attacks, and hacking of websites. The data which is transferred between two parties remains protected and secure after the installation of an SSL certificate. The padlock signs and HTTPS protocol gets activated on the webserver with the SSL certificate. The connection between the web server and browser becomes secure after SSL certificate installation. Domain, server, and hostnames are bind together with the SSL certificate. The identity of the organization and location is verified by the SSL certificate company.
Working on an SSL Certificate
Public key cryptography is the one that is used in SSL certificates. There are two keys named a public key and a private key that generate numbers randomly. The key which is present in the public domain and known to your server is referred to as the public key. Any form of the message can be encrypted by the public key. The private key is known to the owner only and not available in the public domain. The message can be decrypted by the person who has the private key. The communication on the digital platform occurs between website and server in which the website is considered as public key and server has the private key.
Need of an SSL Certificate
SSL certificate is the one that helps to provide encryption and form a secure connection between the websites and server devices. SSL certificate installation is a smart idea to protect the website from scammers and hackers. There are various reasons due to which an SSL certificate is required:
- Data between the servers become secured.
- Google ranking increased.
- Trust of the customer enhance and increases.
- Improved conversion rates.
- Secure login credentials.
- Safe information of credit card and bank account details.
- Protect proprietary information.
- Medical records encryption.
- Legal documents and contracts safety.
Types of SSL Certificates
SSL certificates are of three types. The level of security provided by each SSL certificate is different.
- Domain Validated (DV) – The owner of the website can only verify the domain-validated (DV) certificates. For the issuance and installation of the DV certificate, an email is sent by the certificate authority (CA) to the owner of the website on the registered email address. This will help to verify the identity of the organization’s details. The level of trust of DV certificates is low and majorly used for cybercriminal sites.
- Organization Validated (OV) – CA validates a variety of information about the organization before issuing the organization validated (OV) SSL certificate. The specific data includes organization details, physical location, and the domain name of the website. The level of security provided by the OV certificate is moderate and the issuance time is approx. 2 days.
- Extended Validation (EV) – The websites that collect sensitive information of the customers should install extended validation (EV) SSL certificate. The security level provided by the EV certificate is highest as compared to others. CA will increase the level of confidence and checking details strictness while issuing the EV certificate to the organization.
Disadvantages of SSL Certificates
- It is not a cost-effective certificate.
- The number of server resources is increased which shows different encryption performance.
- SSL certificate needs a high number of visitors and less special hardware.